In 1814, a growing family and a booming enterprise posed a predicament for Joseph Thompson. He needed more land and space but none was available. To move foward he would need to begin again.
The site selected was a few miles south of Reeds. There he built a new Iron Works and a large two story brick house. He called the place “Tyro” – latin for new beginning.
In 1926, Boone wilson was the owner of that brick house. He gave an acre of land adjoining that homeplace to two Methodist Churches that were coming together for a new beginning, Bethel Methodist Church and Wesley Chapel Methodist Church. Approxomately 84 families named the new church “Tyro Methodist.”